birdwatching centers in israel
JBO: Jerusalem Bird Observatory
The Jerusalem Bird Observatory is the first urban wildlife site in Israel. It is a magnet for hundreds of thousands of birds and tourists alike visiting throughout the year.
The J.B.O., adjacent to the Knesset (the Israeli Parliament) was built in order to preserve a unique phenomenon, and it enables visitors to come within arm’s length of one of the most fascinating sights in nature – tiny birds migrating every year between Africa and Europe.
The J.B.O. offers a variety of activities for tourists, families, and groups:
• Tree planting
• Bird ringing
• The art gallery inside the first “living building” in Israel
• Tour and walk through the bird-hide and the area of the J.B.O.
• The movie a “Field Dairy” by Amir Balaban, describing nature and the city
• Groups according to reservation.
• The visitor’s center, including the movie,
• Sunday-Thursday 09:00-15:00
For further details and to coordinate a visit:
The Hula Valley is well known for being one of the best places for birding in the western Palearctic. Two main birding parks in the Valley offer a variety of birding options throughout the year:
- The Agamon Hula park – http://www.agamon-hula.co.il/?lang=en_US
- The Hula valley nature reserve – https://en.parks.org.il/ParksAndReserves/hula/Pages/default.aspx
- The Ramat HaNegev Birding Center is one of the newest members of the National Birding Center Network established by the Society for the Protection of Nature in Israel (SPNI). Tucked away in the heart of the Negev Desert, the center is the ninth in SPNI’s national network, with a distinct desert character that is all its own.
- The Ramat HaNegev Birding Center provides an ecological refuge for hundreds of bird species, with programs focusing on education, environmental research, and eco-tourism.
While other areas of Israel experience rapid growth that often comes into conflict with efforts to preserve natural resources, the Negev’s astounding natural beauty has remained largely intact, even in the midst of growing communities and thriving business operations in the region. In fact, in many ways the Negev presents certain challenges that are the exact opposite of those faced by the rest of the country.
Through its efforts to promote environmental education and eco-tourism, the Ramat HaNegev Birding Center strikes an important balance between ecological preservation and attracting visitors to the area.
The children are the future! This is what we believe and therefore we put our main resources into education programs at schools and lead junior birding clubs that meet on a weekly basis. We also lead “adult” birding outings and by that to bring the local community closer to the unique world of the Negev birds.
Ramat HaNegev Birding Center in a joint project with the people of Kadesh Barnea has built a bird garden in the outskirt of the Moshav and is busy putting together the second of many birding sites; ‘The Bustards site’, two old train wagons which will be transformed to hides.
A visitor center which will be built in Sde Boker College will be the heart of the birding center.
- The birding park in Eilat was established in the early 1990’s by the “International Birdwatching and Research Center of Eilat” (IBRCE) foundation.
- The park lies on what was once an industrial waste site and is an example of cooperation between the municipalities and the SPNI. Today the park is the center of the IBRCE and is one of the most unique and important birding sites in the country.
- The IBRCE focuses on research and monitoring of migrant birds, eco-tourism activities as well as different bird related services to the local population (farmers, the city of Eilat) are provided onsite, as well as all other matters relating to the interaction between birds and man.
- The park is open daily and guided birding tours in the park or surrounding area can be booked.
visit our website – eilatbirds.com
Israeli birding portal is home for Israeli and international bird watchers. All you need to know about birding in Israel is here: http://www.birds.org.il/en/index.aspx
Jordan Valley Birding Center
In the Spring Valley there is another birding center, the Jordan Valley Birding Center
Here we can help you plan your bird watching trip to fit your needs and help you to make your birding experience wonderful.
We have the best local guides that will assist you to find what you wish for.
Half/full day guided tours can be booked in advance or on site.
The north of Israel is known for the variety and abundance of birds all year and especially during the migration seasons. Well known birding sites like the Sea of Galilee, Golan Heights, Hula Valley and others are within an hour’s drive from the center.
We shall be happy for you to stay in our center, which puts you in the perfect location to serve as your home base for birding in northern Israel.
You don’t have to wander far from your room to see birds. Migrating flocks of white and black storks, pelicans, different raptors and more, can be seen from the lodge’s lawn. A short stroll around the lodge premises can provide a wonderful birding experience.
You Can find options for accommodation in two different types of B&B: comfortable double rooms and pampering family suites
At Kibbutz Kfar Ruppin you will meet a unique nature experience.